28 May Seeking Board Member: Director of Veterinary Services
The Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society (Calgary Wildlife) is seeking an energetic, professional, individual, with formal training and recent work experience in animal shelter or emergency veterinary practice management, who is passionate about wildlife and human resource activities to join our Board of Directors as Director of Veterinary Services. An understanding of non profit organization dynamics and previous Board experience will be helpful. The Calgary Wildlife Board is a working board for a small organization, which means we do more than simply oversee operations, we also roll up our sleeves and help elevate the stature of the organization in ways that align with our skillsets and role. Board members , assist with leadership and general promotion of Calgary Wildlife, oversee organizational operations, and support fundraising and public awareness to advance our mandate, aligned to our mission and goals. Board members are expected to make a commitment to participate fully in strategic planning, governance, fund development and tactical activities.
General Board roles and responsibilities
- Proactive leadership
- Fund development and outreach
- Organizational leadership and strategic advisement
- Inspire individual and corporate support
- Financial management, including oversight of the annual budget
- Promotion of organization and public awareness
- Active presence and support at key events
Director of Veterinary Services :
- Develop and oversee veterinary hospital policies including (but not limited to):
- Responsibilities related to licensing and compliance to provincial standards
- Knowledge of research and advances in wildlife treatment
- Ensure compliance with applicable Alberta Board of Veterinary Medical Association regulations and best practices
- Leads recruitment of management/leader positions when required for the organization
- Mentor and guide the Clinic leaders and staff veterinarian on wildlife-specific matters
- Recruit and onboard new Board members in collaboration with the Board President
- Director contributes valuable expertise and input in maintaining and obtaining inventory of appropriate medical equipment and advice on procurement
Meetings and time commitment:
Monthly Board meetings take place in the evenings with rotating hosts. Meetings are typically 90 minutes unless urgent issues require additional attention. Board members may have monthly committee meetings they are chairing or attending depending on their role. The Annual General Meeting in May takes place in lieu of a monthly Board meeting and typically takes 2 hours. Casino fundraiser takes place once every 18 months and each Board member is expected to sign up for one 8-hour shift. Other events Board members may be encouraged to attend include our Spring Baby Shower, the fall photography gala, and other key fundraising events.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.