12 Feb 2020: Summer Employment at Calgary Wildlife – Apply until March 20, 2020
It’s that time of year again. We are starting to collect applications for our summer student program. If you are looking to gain experience working with wildlife before returning to school, this may the opportunity for you!
Title: Summer Student – Wildlife Technician
Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society (CWRS) is a registered non-profit established in 1993 to provide professional care for wildlife rehabilitation. Our goal is to Rescue, Rehabilitate and Release –the three R’s of responsible wildlife management. CWRS is an accredited veterinary wildlife hospital located within The City of Calgary. Each year we receive over 2400 injured or orphaned wild animals and respond to thousands of wildlife-related calls from the public.
CWRS has an exciting opportunity for a motivated student looking for a full time summer position (May –Sept) as a wildlife technician*. Under the supervision of veterinary and senior wildlife staff, the Wildlife Technician is responsible for providing rehabilitation treatment to injured and orphaned wildlife and assisting in daily operations of the facility. This position requires weekday, weekend and evening work and is physically demanding. Successful candidates can expect to be challenged and gain knowledge in the handling and physical restraint of wildlife species, laboratory procedures and diagnostics, emergency nursing, patient assessments and treatments, and record-keeping. All successful applicants must fully commit to the work term. This is a unique learning experience in our hands on, fast-paced work environment. Join us for our peak season (when we intake thousands of animals) and have a once in a lifetime experience!
*Position contingent upon funding
• Food preparation
• Assist with cleaning cages
• Assisting with medical exams, treatment, and lab work under the supervision of the Senior Wildlife Technicians, Lead Veterinarian and RVTs
• Communicate with the public/veterinary clinics regarding wildlife concerns and transfers of animals to the centre
• Coordinate and supervise volunteers for wildlife care and rescues
• Maintain records
• Applicant be at least 18 years of age or older
• Preference given to AHT and/or B.Sc. (Biology, Ecology, Zoology, Veterinary Medicine) students
• Preference given to those with veterinary clinic/medical experience
• Rabies vaccinated or willing to obtain vaccination during employment period (proof of vaccination and titre value required)
• Have a passion for wildlife rehabilitation, veterinary medicine, wildlife conservation, ecology, or related field.
• Strong work ethic, dependable, honest
• Work well as a team as well as under minimal supervision
• Strong communication skills (both written and verbal English) and professional telephone etiquette
• Ability to work under pressure and multi-task
• Position requires physically fit candidates (must be able to lift 50lbs.)
• Must be available to work days, evenings and weekends, CWRS is open 365 days/year.
• Work safely, and train others accordingly
Term of Employment Period: Minimum 10 weeks between May 11th and August 31st – 40 hours per week
Application Instructions: If you are interested in this exciting opportunity at CWRS, please submit your Resume/Curriculum Vitae, including 2 references, a 1-page statement of interest, and availability via email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.